Grade 10 Required Textbooks
Below is a complete list of required textbooks and resources for 2020-2021.
Note: Wherever possible, we have selected digital versions of textbooks and resources for easy download. However, in some instances, publishers offer only print editions.
We have indicated which titles should be purchased in eBook format, and which should be purchased as print copies.
- When a textbook or resource is available in eBook format, you will see the words: “to be purchased in digital format.”
- When a textbook is only available as a hardcopy you will see the words: “to be purchased in print format.”
- In a few cases, when we are able to offer students the opportunity to purchase textbooks and resources in either the digital or print version. In this instance, you will see the words “students may choose to purchase in print or digital format.” In these instances, students are free to select the version that they feel will work best for them.
When purchasing an eBook version of a text, it can sometimes be cheaper and easier to download the iBook version. Where the iBook version is available, we have provided you with a direct link to download the book.
Important Note: Students should feel comfortable waiting to download digital versions of any required textbook or resource until the first week of school. At that point teachers will have had an opportunity to offer additional guidance regarding the downloading process.
Refer to the Summer Enrichment Assignments page to download specific assignments which include requirements, expectations and guidelines.
If you are enrolled in a course not listed below, please don’t hesitate to contact Mr. Poponyak.
Note: Students may elect to purchase all the English novels listed below in advance. It is also acceptable for students to wait until the first week of school. This will give English teachers the opportunity to outline which books are required for the first semester and which books will be used in the second semester.
English 2: World Literature (Honors and College Prep)
*All texts are to be purchased in print format.*
- Krik? Krak!, Edwidge Danticat. Vintage Publishing, 1996. ISBN 9780679766575
- Before We Were Free, Julia Alvarez. Laurel Leaf, 2004. ISBN 9780440237846
- Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe. Anchor Publishing, 1994. ISBN 9780385474542
- (Honors only) Othello, William Shakespeare. Simon & Schuster, 1993. ISBN 978-0743477550
- (College Prep only) Othello, William Shakespeare. (No Fear Shakespeare) (Volume 9) Study Guide ed. edition (July 3, 2003). ISBN: 9781586638528
In addition, your instructor may select to read the following books over the course of the year. These books do NOT need to be purchased over the summer. Your instructor will give you ample notice to order and purchase:
- Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories. Ryunosuke Akutagawa. Penguin Classics. ISBN: 9780140449709.
- Malgudi Days. R.K. Narayan. Penguin Classics. ISBN: 9780143039655.
Note: All of the titles listed above are paperbacks and, unless otherwise indicated, should be purchased in print format. The teacher, utilizing public domain, web-based sources, will make all additional poetry, short stories and readings available to students on their digital devices. Teachers in this course will furnish students with the resources they need through a selection of teacher-generated supplemental resources and packets.
- The Catholic Faith Handbook For Youth. Brian Singer-Towns. Saint Mary’s Press. ISBN 9781599821603 Note: Alternatively, students can purchase the eBook version of the same book through iBooks using the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-catholic-fait...
- The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness, Simon Wiesenthal. Schocken. 1998. ISBN 9780805210606 Students may choose to purchase in print or digital format.
Note: All math courses require a TI-84 Plus graphing calculator or TI-84 CE graphing calculator.
Geometry (Honors and College Prep)
- Geometry Student Edition 2012 CCSS (hardcover), Glencoe Publishing, 2012. ISBN 9780078952715 Note: Alternatively, this text is also available as an iBook download. Click here to download directly from the iBook Store.
- Geometry (Homework Practice Workbook), Glencoe. Glencoe Publishing, 2010. ISBN 9780078908491 To be purchased in print format.
Algebra II (Honors and College Prep)
- Algebra II Student Edition 2012 CCSS (hardcover), Glencoe Publishing, 2012. ISBN 9780078952654 Note: Alternatively, this text is also available as an iBook download. Click here to download the book from the iBook Store.
- Algebra II (Homework Practice Workbook - CCSS), Glencoe. Glencoe Publishing. 2012. ISBN 9780076602995 To be purchased in print format.
Note: Those students taking the Double Math option should acquire the resources for both Geometry and Algebra II stated above.
Note: All science courses require a TI-84 Plus graphing calculator.
Chemistry (Honors and College Prep)
- Matter and Change (print format), Glencoe Publishing. ISBN 9780078964053 Note: Alternatively, this text is also available as an iBook download. Click here to download the book from the iBook Store.
World History II (Honors and College Prep)
- World History: Patterns of Interaction, (Hardcover) Houghton Mifflin, 2007. ISBN 9780618690084 Note: This is the same textbook used in World History I. Note: Alternatively, this text is also available as an iBook download. Click here to download directly from the iBook Store.
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Young Readers Edition by Michael Pollan. ISBN-13: 978-1101993835
Spanish II (Honors and College Prep)
- EntreCulturas 2, Español - One-Year Digital Student Package (FlexText® + Explorer) ISBN: 978-1-942400-91-2 http://bit.ly/2XbHeIq (Note: Be sure to scroll down to EntreCulturas 2)
Spanish III (Honors and College Prep)
- Entre Culturas 3 1 Year Student Digital Package (FlexText® + Explorer) ISBN: 978-1-942400-64-6 http://bit.ly/2XbHeIq
- Ecce Romani II, Pearson Prentice Hall. School Group Publishing. ISBN 9780133610918 Print Format *Fall 2020 Note: Students will continue using their Ecce Romani I Textbook for the first month of school.* Update: 8-18-20. The Ecce Romani textbook series is now available as an ebook. If you are interested in the digital ebook version Ecce Romani Level II Standalone Savvas eText 1-year license ISBN 9781418301392 please utilize this link. Copy and paste the ISPN number into the search bar and the text should appear. At the start of school, the teacher will share directions with students on downloading the text on the Realize app on their laptops.
Note: When completing the online purchase, the SAVVAS website states that this purchase can only be made with a school credit card, Please disregard that note and select guest checkout. At the guest checkout enter our school zipcode 02134 and select "Saint Joseph Prep" from the dropdown menu and the purchase can be completed with a personal credit card. If there are questions or to order over the phone, please contact SAVVAS at 1800-848-9500 and give them the above ISBN number.
- Ecce Romani II Language Activity Book, Pearson Prentice Hall. School Group Publishing. ISBN 9780133611182 To be purchased in print format.
ESL I - No book required
ESL II - No book required