Midterm Exams 2018-19
OVERVIEW: Monday, January 14, is a Review Day; school is in session from 7:45 AM to 2:30 PM, and all students are expected to be present. Midterm Exams begin on Tuesday, January 15, and end on Friday, January 18. These exams constitute 10% of a student’s overall grade for the year. Over the course of this exam week, students will have the opportunity to demonstrate skill development and their content mastery from the first semester. This is a wonderful opportunity for your son/daughter to demonstrate and to integrate all that he/she has learned since September. In the last few weeks, teachers have begun to outline their expectations for the Midterm Exams and assisted students in preparing for these crucially important exercises. It is absolutely critical that each student invests the time and energy to prepare thoroughly and effectively for Midterm Exams. Families can help to make certain that students have plenty of rest and eat well before each exam.
To optimize performance, we encourage each student to follow this preparation guide: MIDTERM PREP GUIDE
On exam days, the Dining Hall will be open as usual at 7:00 AM. Students will be dismissed from the Dining Hall at 7:40 AM to enter the Academic Building. Exams will take place in Phoenix Hall and selected classrooms. The first exam begins promptly at 8:00 AM. Students are dismissed from school after they have completed their exams for that day.
The schedule for each exam day is as follows:
- First Exam: 8:00 AM to 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM (depending on the length of the exam)
- Second Exam: 10:30 AM to 12:00 AM or 12:30 AM (depending on the length of the exam)
Midterm Exams will be administered according to the following schedule:
|JAN 15 (Tues)||JAN 16 (Wed)||JAN 17 (Thurs)||JAN 18 (Fri)|
Dbl. Math Algebra II)
(I & II only)
10:30 AM -
(WH I, WH II, USH,
AP US Gov
Make Up Exams
Note: English Writing, STEAM I and STEAM II summative semester assessments are scheduled to be completed in advance of Midterm Exam week.
SCHOOL CANCELLATIONS: In the event that school is cancelled on a day during the Midterm Exam week, the exams scheduled for that day would take place on the following day. For example, if school were to be closed on Tuesday, January 15, the exams scheduled for that day (Math and Social Studies) would occur on Wednesday, January 16. Wednesday’s exam would then be moved to Thursday, etc.
AFTERSCHOOL ACTIVITIES: There will be no detention, club or activity meetings, ASP or HoSS during exam week. However, a number of teachers will be offering Teacher-Led Review Sessions during exam week – see below for more details. Some athletic teams may schedule practices during the exam week – see Athletic Director for more details. However, athletic practices will not begin earlier than 3:30 PM on Monday - Thursday.
TEACHER-LED REVIEW SESSIONS: All of our teachers will be available every day during exam week until at least 1:30 PM to answer student questions about upcoming exams. Many of our teachers also offer Teacher-Led Review Sessions during the week of exams. As always, our teachers will be available for extra help/review from 2:35 – 3:30 PM in the weeks leading up to exams. Click this button for a complete schedule: REVIEW SESSIONS SCHEDULE
TIMED WRITING: Theology, English, Social Studies, and some Science and Language courses may choose to administer their timed writing prompts, and/or listening and oral portions of their exams, the week before Midterms. A test calendar has been established to ensure that students are not taking more than one of these assessments per day.
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENTS: Find below the SJP expectations for students taking Midterm Exams.
- Monday, January 14, is a Review Day; school is in session from 7:45 AM to 2:30 PM, and all students are expected to be present.
- Tuesday, January 15 - Friday, January 18: Students need to be present only for times they have a scheduled midterm exam.
- Students are expected to be in school uniform during exam week.
- On exam days, Café Phoenix will be open as usual at 7:00 AM. Students will be dismissed from the Café Phoenix at 7:40 AM to enter the Academic Building.
- Students who need a place to prepare for their next exam are encouraged to take advantage of the quiet, supervised study environment of the Learning Commons.
- Students waiting for a ride at the end of the day can wait in the Learning Commons or Café Phoenix
- All students will report directly to their designated exam locations. Students with extended time should report directly to the extended time test area – see the Director of the Academic Enrichment Center for more details
- Students are expected to be in their testing areas at least 10 minutes before the exam begins. The first exam begins promptly at 8:00 AM and the second exam begins promptly at 10:30 AM.
- Any student who arrives more than 20 minutes late for a Midterm Exam will be redirected to the Learning Commons and required to meet with her/his subject teacher after the exam period to schedule a make-up exam. All Midterm Exams must be completed by the afternoon of Friday, January 18.
- If a student finishes early, he/she must remain in the exam room until the end of the exam period. Teachers/Proctors will encourage any student who finishes early to use the extra time to review for his/her next exam.
- Unless specifically permitted by the subject teacher, students should not have access to any books, translators, iPads, notebooks, calculators etc., during the exam period. All electronic devices should be turned off and placed in bags/backpacks.
- All bags, materials, and books should be left in a designated area of the testing location.
- As always, students are not permitted to have any food or drink in the academic building; the only exception is water in a clear container.
- Only a serious illness (confirmed by a physician’s note) or a family emergency should prevent a student from taking exams as scheduled.
- Students are not permitted to pre-schedule exams.
- Redo Exams: Any student who receives a grade less than 50% on a semester exam will be required to re-do those portions of the exam on which they did not initially demonstrate sufficient mastery of the content and/or skills. Students will be eligible to earn a maximum grade of 55% for a re-do on their semester exam. Students will be scheduled to complete any re-do during an ASP block within one week of grades closing for the semester.
- Make-up Exams: If a student were to miss an exam due to illness, all make-up exams must be completed by the afternoon of Friday, January 18, at a time convenient to both student and teacher. If necessary, these make-up exams may be scheduled after 12:30 PM from Tuesday, January 15, to Friday, January 18. In extenuating circumstances, with a note from physician, make up exams can be administered the week after exams.